Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Merry Christmas! Let's Bake!

So I haven't posted in forever about all the lovely stuff I've made (both knitting and baking), but today isn't the day either. I'm just about to head off to my parents for a few days, and I really want to be able to leave before 3pm. I'm gussing it's going to be an unfun drive anyway. Wet snow. Our second snowfall, and everyone seems to have fogotten how to drive in the snow. doh.

It's the Christmas season, the big day is fast approching, and I'm no closer to having gifts for the ones I love than I was, oh, this time last month. doh. I've decided some people will be getting baking, but I've yet to actually do the baking. I'm actually taking the ingredients to my parents to bake them there! Deadlines and all.

I joined a cookie swap this year, so by next monday I need to make 108 cookies! GAH. Wish me luck! I'm hoping I have time to make them Friday/Saturday/Monday. Somewhere in there anyway. Frig, I haven't even made a test batch yet! I have no idea if they will even be acceptable!

The crazy thing is, of course, is that I'll be getting almost as many cookies back as I give!! Gah. I don't know what I'll do with that many cookies. I think I will re-gift some of them to a friend with kids who doesn't bake. Hopefully she'll appreciate them, or at least her kids and husband might. Some I know we'll eat... The rest? Well... Maybe Chris can take them to work.... Or I'll have to find a local shelter that's willing to accept home-baked cookies... Do they even do that? I have no idea.

We have a tiny christmas tree on the table/desk here that I bought cause I needed something. Right now it has ghetto decorations of shiny candy wrappers since I couldn't find any bulbs the right size that I liked in the least. It doesn't really feel like Christmas here at all. That makes me a little sad. It's also totally not motivating me to get my Christmas shit together.

I got my Pa a little something, but it's something I know he'll like and use for once, so it's a small victory there. I decided to knit my mom a sweater because I looked all over the place and I couldn't find any that I really liked, and most of the ones that were just 'okay' were $70 plus! Well I can knit one for that price! One I'll love and I think she'll like and will last her a long time! So that's what I'm doing. *nods*

I've decided Chris needs to buy/decide on gifts for his family. It doesn't work out so well when I get involved. But he's yet to decide. I really hate leaving shit like this to the last minute! It stresses me out. I love the man, but he's terrible about the timely gift-buying thing. He's a man, blah blah blah. I don't care, that's no excuse! Half these gifts have a damn long way to go, it's important they get there on time. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but it bothers the fuck out of me, which is why I keep mentioning it, and have done since the end of November. And I really can't just be "whatever", it freaking reflects on me too, and I'm not like that damnit! It's the 9th, and it's KILLING ME all my shopping isn't done. I can't enjoy the season with shit like that hanging over me. Which I guess is what I should say instead of "we, you really need to decided what to get your family", because that obviously isn't helping the situation. Sutble doesn't work with men... though I didn't realise I was being at all subtle. damnit.

Anyway! I'm poor, most people are getting very modest gifts... In fact, I think most will end up getting baking - that I have a say in... I've stopped buying for friend's kids a year or more ago, because I have no money. I couldn't, and still can't afford it damnit. Not like they miss it with the shitload of crap their parents buy them.

I don't feel like I'm doing enough for my parents though. My mommy gave me money; she said "it's not a lot", but for me it's more money than has come my way in a long ass time. I feel bad because I can't return the favor in kind. She knows I don't have a job or any money as a result, which is probably why she gave me the money, so I could buy myself the things I want but can't realy afford. Trouble is, it's been really hard to spend the money. There isn't all that much that's gift-worthy that I want. I've been told I'm not allowed to ask for a nice frying pan or a knife that will actually cute tomatoes for Christmas.. But really.. those two things are top of my list of wants/needs. I can live without the frying pan, but we really shouldn't be eating the non-stick coating like we are now. I can also live without the knife, but it's driving me fucking batty trying to saw through tomatoes with the dull knifes we have now. *sigh* I have bought some lovely body butter, a needle case, some knitting books and such. But I still have a good chunk of the money left. I kinda really need to get my hair cut and coloured, so I'm thinking of using it for that.... We'll see.

Okay, I really need to get ready now. Babbling must cease. Merry Chrsitmas! I hope everyone isn't as stressed out about it all as I am! Bleck. I hate the stress. I like the part that comes after... Damnit. And that's usually where I am by this time.... damnit.. oh well.

No comments: