Thursday, November 8, 2007

Funny How Things Work Out

For my 16th birthday my dad gave me two $100 Canada Savings Bonds that would mature on November 1, 2007. At the time I was pissed. My father was, and still is frankly, notorious for either not remembering me on occasions like my birthday or Christmas, or just giving really badly thought out gifts, or gifts with no thought whatsoever. At 16 I would have much rather had $200 in my hand. Hell, I would have rather had $50 in my hand so I could buy myself something I wanted, a couple cds, a pair of jeans, something. Instead I got $200 that would come to maturity 12 years hense, with a little interest. Nothing of any use to me at the time.

My mind boggled. What was I going to need with $200 when I was... 28?! I couldn't imagine needing it. I mean, sure money is always nice, but I just couldn't see myself being in a place where I would need it. Or even just appreciate it the same way as my no imcome 16 year old self could. It seemed a gift that would be of no use to me whatsoever.

Well, here is it, November of 2007, and I get a letter from the Bank of Canada telling me my bond is fully matured. Never in my life have I been happier at the prospect of $200 coming my way!! This means I might actually be able to afford some kind of Chrismas gifts for my parents!! Yay!

You see, I've been unemployed for almost a year, and living on UI. The idea has been for some time that Neda and I would go to South Korea to teach English at the end of the summer. When that was decided I thought, what kind of job would I be able to get for such a little time? Nothing that would pay as well as UI would, so I opted to take a nice long vacation.

Neda and I have been our usual procrastinating selves - we are still here, and only slightly closer to going to Korea. I thought I had UI until the end of next January, so there was no rush. That is what the documents they sent me appeared to say. That was a terrible misconception. Today they sent me a letter telling me my benefits were exhausted as of November 3rd. It actually took me a few minutes to comprehend what it was saying. When I did...Oh my fucking gods! I haven't been so shocked since my bosses sat me down and fired me! But then, I knew this was coming eventually, so it wasn't half so bad. I certainly didn't expect to get that NOW however! GAH.

Thank the gods I have some little money saved up!! Hopefully enough to get me through the next couple of months. I'm really not sure though, and that's making me crazy. I hate not having money. I hate worrying about money - it tears me up inside - I literally get sick with worry.

Neda said they are looking for someone at the bra store. I would have to either work shift with Neda or take the bus, which I have a feeling would be one long ass ride. It could work though. And I do think they would hire me, if only because Neda and Angie love me, and, well, I'm smart and friendly, what more could they want? Though the fact that I'm leaving when Neda is would be a downside that's for sure. It's still an option.... one I just might need... gah.

I just can't get over how wrong I was! I didn't know at 16 where I would be at 28, but somehow I expected myself to be in a very different place in life. I thought I would be working, living on my own in some little apparment somewhere. Oh well, what can you do? Things could be worse. Things could be much much worse. I never though I'd be loved. I never though I'd find a man that could love me, at least not one whose love I could return, and I have that. All the riches in the world are nothing to that.

But I sure as fuck am glad my dad got me these 'dumbass' savings bonds way back when!! It's funny how things work out.

No comments: