Thursday, November 15, 2007

Cookies!

Today I tested out two cookie recipes for possible inclusion in a Christmas gift for my man's parents. His mom is borderline diabetic, so I choose recipes from Splenda that say they are diabetic friendly. I also went with a healthy margarine instead of butter in an attempt to make them more healthy.

Tada!
Orange Almond Icebox Cookies and Spicey Gingersnaps

I think I like both these cookies quite well. The Spicy Gingersnaps are my hands down favourite. They are crunchy and tasty and fab. The Orange Almond Icebox Cookies are pretty good, but they are mostly 'butter' so they are quite crumbly. I think when I do them again I will make them bite size so they won't be so messy.

With these I plan on making a dark chocolate truffle. I'm still debating whether or not to add anything to it. The recipe calls for orange zest but I personally hate orange with chocolate, I think it ruins it, so I don't want to do that. I was contemplating adding hazelnuts and/or hazelnut oil (if I could find such a thing). But personally, when I want chocolate, I just want chocolate, without any bells or whistles. So I might make them plain. Just have to find a lovely dark chocolate with no sugar added.

I'm thinking I should have at least four things in the tin so I am going to try recipes for Macadamia Snickerdoodles and Lemon Coconut Shortbreads, also from Splenda. I figure I will pick the best four.

No comments: