Sunday, July 3, 2011

Story Research

So I've got it in my head to write this cheesy romance story between an older military man and a younger geeky/nerdy civilian woman. As I've already mentioned.

I really wanted the story to take place in Norfolk VA, or Washington DC. NCIS (the show) is based in Norfolk, and there's lots of military types to be had there. I thought it would be a good location for my military love interest.

Trouble is, I wanted my heroine to be from somewhere far enough away that a visit would be a pretty big deal, but not unreasonable. The connection between my characters would be his sister. So my heroine and the sister would go to university together.

This made me start researching US universities. OMFG! The price for ONE YEAR at MIT is more than I paid for all 4 years of university!!! Jesus. How do they do it?? I mean, even if they did get loans, they'd have like $120,000 of debt!! That's just INSANE. INSANE!! So, I can't imagine coming from the kind of money that could afford that. I just can't. I don't understand how anyone but the very rich could ever afford that. That's just... Hell, it would be cheaper to go to school in Canada and pay the international rates than it would to go to many of the US schools. It just boggles my mind.

Anyway, point is, I can't see a where or how for my heroine in the US. And non-us citizens can't get jobs as civilians working with the military, so that connection is out.

I really wanted him to be a marine. I admit it. Gibbs gave me a total hard on for marines. And Semper Fi has just stuck in my head.

So I'm torn as to what to do. Do I just pretend that university isn't insanely expensive and somehow that both women went to MIT and live in Boston? And he's in Norfolk VA as a marine Commander?

Or do I dump Semper Fi, have the women in Toronto (having gone to UofT or McMaster), and him in Ottawa working for the DND perhaps as a Naval attache?

I just.. I don't know what to do... And I can't get over the price of university tuition in the states!

Canada Day was a few days ago, and you know, I'm just so damn glad to be Canadian! I really do love where I live, I have a hard time seeing how I could be happy anywhere else.

No comments: