Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sometimes I really don't understand people

Re: Toronto church leader denounces atheist 'attack ads'

In case you don't want to read the article, the gist is, the Toronto-based Freethought Association of Canada is paying to have some adds put on the TTC. The ads in question say:

"There is probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Charles McVety, president of the Canada Family Action Coalition, had this to say (my favorite quote), "These ads are not saying what the atheists believe, they are attacking what other people believe." --- Let me interject my shock here. These ads don't say what atheists believe?!? I'd like to know what the heck Mr. McVety thinks atheists do believe then. --- He goes on to say, "And if you look at the dictionary definition for ... bigot, that's exactly what it is, to be intolerant of someone else's belief system." Now, as we can see - hypothetically - Mr. McVety appears to know how to use a dictionary. Pity he didn't bother to look up Atheist before he put his foot in his mouth however.

From Merriam-Webster's online Dictionary:

atheist

Main Entry: athe·ist
Pronunciation: \ˈā-thē-ist\
Function: noun
Date: 1551

: one who believes that there is no deity.


To put the record straight, these ads are in fact saying exactly what atheists believe!! Duh. And are in no way attacking or threatening any other belief. Unless of course you think the "God loves you" and "Jesus died for our sins" bumper stickers and paraphernalia are threatening to say, Muslims or Jews, or Hindus. Honestly now. If the add had said, say, "You're going to suffer for eternity if you don't believe what I believe" -- oh wait, the Christians use that one all the time, and it's all right, isn't it?

*ahem*

Anyway, my point is, the ad is not in any way insulting anyone. It's simply stating what the group that paid for it believes, in a very non-treatening way. It wasn't even absolute! And let me tell you, many of us atheists believe there is no god in a very absolute way. I don't see what the big deal is. Sometimes I think the crazy Christians (not the whole lot, just the overzealous crazy ones) need to get over themselves.


p.s. Chris is tagged as he sent me the link to the article.

1 comment:

mio said...

I can't wait until the Crazy Christians start vandalizing the ads. What would Jesus do, indeed!