Makes: ~28 cupcake-sized muffins
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup demerara-style brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups bran cereal
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚F, and grease muffin pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add raisins, pecans, and chopped apples to wet ingredients, stir well to combine.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine, flour, bran, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Fold dry ingredients to wet until just combined.
- Fill greased muffin cups 100% full (they don't rise much). Bake for approx. 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of muffin clean.